All 267 Aboard South Korean Ferry Rescued After It Runs Aground Off Southwest Coast

All 267 Aboard South Korean Ferry Rescued After It Runs Aground Off Southwest Coast Image collected from internet

The Business Daily

Published : 01:05, 20 November 2025

A passenger ferry carrying 267 people ran aground off South Korea’s southwest coast on Wednesday evening, but thanks to a rapid and coordinated rescue operation, all passengers and crew were safely evacuated.

According to the Korea Coast Guard, the Queen Jenuvia II, a 26,546-ton vessel, struck a submerged rock near Jangsan Island, in Sinan County. The ferry had departed from Jeju Island and was en route to the southwestern port city of Mokpo, carrying 246 passengers and 21 crew members.

The crew reported the grounding around 8:17 p.m., and rescuers dispatched patrol boats and other vessels to the scene. Despite an estimated 15-degree tilt at the bow, rescuers found no sign of flooding. Five passengers sustained minor injuries, but there were no serious casualties.

The Coast Guard confirmed by 11:27 p.m. that all aboard had been rescued and transferred safely ashore. A coast guard spokesperson said the ship remained lodged on the rock, unable to move under its own power, but that there was no immediate danger of it capsizing or sinking.

Videos and testimonies from passengers described a loud impact, followed by announcements to don life jackets and await evacuation. Vulnerable passengers — including children, older adults, and pregnant women — were removed first.

President Lee Jae-myung, currently abroad, instructed authorities to provide real-time updates on the situation and ensure the safety of all on board. Prime Minister Kim Min-seok ordered all available ships and equipment to assist with the rescue and directed local officials to set up medical support and temporary shelters at nearby ports.

An initial inspection revealed a hole in the ferry’s bow, but officials said the hull’s integrity held, preventing water from entering. The Coast Guard has launched an investigation into how the ship came to hit the rock, citing possible navigational error or failure to detect the reef.

The incident has revived painful memories of the 2014 Sewol ferry disaster, in which over 300 people, largely students, lost their lives when the ship sank. Authorities emphasise that this time, their quick response and preventive measures made all the difference.

Sources: The Korea Times, Korea JoongAng Daily, BBC News, Xinhua News Agency

BD/AN

Share:
Advertisement