Massive Blaze Devastates Over 170 Buildings in Ōita — Japan’s Worst Urban Fire in Nearly 50 Years
Published : 01:45, 20 November 2025
A devastating fire ripped through the Saganoseki district of Ōita City in southern Japan on the evening of November 18, destroying more than 170 buildings and killing at least one person, officials said.
The blaze, which began around 5:40 p.m., spread rapidly across the hilly coastal neighborhood. Strong winds fueled the fire, carrying flames from densely packed wooden houses to nearby forested slopes and even setting a small uninhabited island ablaze more than a kilometer offshore.
About 175 residents were evacuated to emergency shelters as the fire raged on, while power outages were reported in around 300 homes. The burning area covered roughly 48,900 square meters — roughly the size of seven soccer fields.
Over 200 firefighters, backed by dozens of firefighting vehicles and military helicopters, were mobilized to battle the inferno. Access was made difficult by narrow alleyways and old wooden structures, complicating efforts to control the flames.
The body of a man believed to be in his 70s was later found; his disappearance was reported earlier in connection with the fire. A woman in her 50s was also hospitalized with minor burns.
Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi expressed her condolences, pledging full government support and close coordination with local authorities to assist evacuees and rebuild the devastated area.
Authorities said the cause of the fire remains under investigation. Given the scale and damage, this is being described as Japan’s largest urban fire in almost half a century, excluding disasters triggered by earthquakes.
Sources: Reuters, AP News, Khaleej Times
BD/AN





